1. Lay two logs side by side on floor of firebox with 4 to 6 inches of space in between them.
2. Crumple 2 or 3 sheets of newspaper loosely, place between logs.
3. Lay kindling across newspaper so it is supported by the logs but bridges over the paper
4. Lay a medium sized log diagonally on top of the kindling so that each of the bottom two logs will support it when the kindling is burning up.
5. Light the newspaper on fire.
6. The fire will eat its way down onto the bottom two logs once the kindling catches on fire.
7. Once the newspaper is burned up, there will plenty of space for air to feed the fire.